名师答疑:well和good

    Here at VOA, I am a teacher. But outside of work, I am a language learner, too. Having studied three languages, I know that sometimes the simplest words can be the most elusive.
    在美国之音节目中,我是一名教师。但是在工作之外,我也在学习语言。在学习三门语言之后,我知道,有时候最简单的单词可能最难以捉摸。

    Today our question comes from a reader named Valentina. Here it is:
    今天我们节目中讲到的问题来自一位名叫瓦伦蒂娜的读者。以下是她的问题:

    Question:
    提问:

    Hello! I would like to know when to use "well" or "good." – Valentina
    你好,我想知道什么时候用well,什么时候用good。

    Answer:
    回答:

    Hi, Valentina. I hope you're doing well. Today is a good day to learn English!
    你好,瓦伦蒂娜,祝愿你一切都好(well)。今天,是学习英语的好(good)日子。

    I wonder if you followed how I used the words "well" and "good." In the first sentence, "well" describes the verb "doing." In the second, "good" describes the noun "day."
    我想知道你是否理解了我如何使用well和good这两个单词。在第一句话中,well用于形容doing这个动词。在第二句话中,good用于形容day这个名词。

    "Well" is an adverb. Like many adverbs, "well" describes the way that something is done. "Well" answers the question "how?"
    Well是副词。跟很多副词一样,well描述了某些事情的完成状态。Well回答了怎么样。

    "Good" is an adjective. We use it to describe nouns.
    Good是个形容词,我们用它来描述名词。

    So we can say, "Valentina is a good singer." We used "good" to describe the "singer." And we can say, "Valentina sings well." We used "well" to describe how Valentina sings.
    所以我们说,瓦伦蒂娜是个好(good)歌手。我们用good来形容歌手。我们还可以说,瓦伦蒂娜唱得很好(well)。我们用well来描述瓦伦蒂娜唱得怎么样。

    This sounds simple, right? But there are a few rules that do not follow this formula:
    这听上去很简单,是吧?但是有一些规则不遵循这个公式:

    Rule #1: Use good for the five senses – sight, taste, smell, touch and sound. Listen to a few examples:
    规则1:提到视觉、味觉、嗅觉、触觉和听觉这5种感官用good。我们来听一些例子:

    The holiday meal tasted so good.
    这份节日大餐很好吃。

    What is that perfume? It smells good.
    那是什么香水?闻起来好香。

    This bed feels good. It is so soft!
    这张床很舒服,太软了!

    Sense verbs are linking verbs. We use "good" with other linking verbs, such as "seem" and "appear."
    感官动词是连接动词。我们在遇到seem和appear等其它连接动词时也用good。

    Rule #2: To talk about physical health, use "well." Let's hear examples:
    规则2:谈到身体健康用well。我们来听一些例子:

    I do not feel well. I think I should see a doctor.
    我身体不舒服,我觉得应该去看医生。

    You don't look well. How are you feeling?
    你看上去气色不好,你感觉怎么样?

    Rule #3: To talk about an emotional state, use "good."
    规则3:谈到情绪状态用good。

    I felt good when I finally completed the program!
    我终于完成了这个课程,感觉好棒。

    He feels good about helping his mother.
    他对帮助母亲感觉良好。

    How are you?
    你好吗?

    So, how do you answer the common question "How are you?" In American spoken English, we usually answer, "I'm good" or just "Good!" But if you would like to be a little more formal, you can say, "I'm well" or "I'm doing well."
    所以,你如何回答“你好吗”这个日常问题?在美式英语的口语中,我们通常回答I’m good或直接说 good!但是如果你想要更正式一点,你可以说,I’m well 或是 I’m doing well。

    Lastly, the comparative and superlative words for "well" and "good" are "better" and "best."
    最后,well和good的比较级以及最高级是better和best。

    And that's Ask a Teacher.
    以上就是本期名师答疑的全部内容。

    I'm Alice Bryant.
    我是爱丽丝·布莱恩特。(51VOA.COM原创翻译,禁止转载,违者必究!)