022 Being a Good House Guest



陈豪在北京的ABC美国公司工作,惊天是星期五下午,陈豪正在跟美国同事Amy聊天。

(Office ambience)

A: 陈豪,do you have any plans for the weekend?

C: 这个周末还真有活动。我们老板夫妇请我到他们家去玩儿,我没告诉你吗?说实话,I am a little nervous.

A:What are you nervous about?

C: 我怕自己会有失礼的地方。唉,你给我讲讲,在西方,去别人家作客有什么需要注意的吧。

A: Do you have gift for your hosts?

C:礼物,可我不知道买什么呀。

A:Here's what I do. I take a gift with me when I know my hosts' taste and hobbies.

C:那要是不知道他有什么爱好呢?

A:When I don't have a clue, I pay attention to what they like while I am there. Then I send a special gift after the visit.

C:我怕吃不惯他们家的饭,所以准备自己带饭去。

A: Unless you have food allergies or need to follow a special diet that would be rude. The rule is to "make do".

C:我倒是没有食物过敏。那要是不爱吃呢?

A: If there is something you don't like, don't let your hosts know. Have a little bit of everything to be polite but fill up on the things you like.

C: 你说得有道理,我可以每样儿都尝点,哪个合胃口就多吃点儿。你放心,不好吃我也不会告诉他们的。还有Amy, can I take my dog Freckles?

A:绝对不行. Unless they invite Freckles, ask your neighbors if they could look after him.

C:那我到他们家能看电视吗?

A:They may ask if you want to watch television and if you have any favorite shows. 不过,要是没人问你,那他们看什么,你就应该跟着看什么。

C:他们睡觉以后我能看吗?

A:I hate to disappoint you, but if your hosts go to bed, you should retire to your room.

C:我要是不困呢?

A:Take something to read. It's much more courteous to read quietly in your room than to stay up with the televising blaring.

******

C:Amy, 我还有什么地方需要注意吗?

A:Don't forget when the visit is over to send a handwritten thank you note?

C:一定要手写吗?我能不能写个e-mail,表示感谢呢?

A:绝对不行。E-mail is too impersonal.

C:可我没有像样的卡片和信封呀。

A:Then buy some and take it with you along with a pen and some stamps. You can write the note before you leave their house and mail it on your way back home.

C: 我还以为这个周末可以好好放松一下呢。看来我得随时注意,做个好客人,可别闹什么笑话。

A:没错。还有就是要enjoy yourself.