A human rights group is urging North Korea to "immediately reveal" the whereabouts of nine North Korean refugees who are believed to have been forced back to Pyongyang from Beijing.
Human Rights Watch said Thursday it wants the North Korean government to ensure that the nine people will not be punished for having fled the country.
Phil Robertson, HRW's deputy Asia director, says the young refugees are at "dire risk." He says North Korea criminalizes unauthorized departures and is known to torture those caught trying to escape and those sent back."
Reports say the North Koreans, aged 15 to 23, were arrested in Laos this month and that authorities there turned them over to China. Their current whereabouts are unknown but South Korea's Yonhap news agency quotes officials in that country saying they were sent back to North Korea this week despite appeals from the South.
HRW said that, under international law, individuals have the right not to be forcibly returned to a place where they face persecution.
- Technology Report
- Health Report
- Education Report
- Economics Report
- Arts & Culture
- Ask a Teacher
- Words And Their Stories
- AS IT IS
- Everyday Grammar
- This is America
- Science in the News
- In the News
- American Stories
- Trending Today
- U.S. History
- America's National Parks
- America's Presidents
- Agriculture Report
- People in America
人权观察：朝鲜难民可能会受到折磨 HRW:North Korean Refugees at Risk of Torture
- 潘基文:安排叙利亚和平会议进展缓慢 UN Chief:Progress Slow on Syria Peace Talks (13/5/30)
- 缅甸政府与克钦族叛军重启谈判 Burmese Government Resumes Talks With Kachin Rebels (13/5/29)
- 伊朗和印度石油部长将举行会晤 India,Iran Oil Ministers Meet (13/5/28)
- 桥本彻就其美军应支持成人娱乐业言论道歉 Japanese Mayor Apologizes for Remarks (13/5/27)
- 美国纪念阵亡将士日 US Observes Memorial Day (13/5/27)
- 俄罗斯东部沿海发生8.2级地震 RUSSIA EARTHQUAKE (13/5/24)
- 克里赴埃塞俄比亚讨论安全问题 Kerry to Visit Ethiopia for Security Talks (13/5/24)
- 英国首相：伦敦杀人案是恐怖主义事件 British PM called the killing a terrorist incident (13/5/23)
- 巴基斯坦发生爆炸袭击至少12人丧生 12 Killed in Pakistan Blast (13/5/23)
- 美国国土安全部长将赴龙卷风灾区视察 US Homeland Security Secretary to Survey Tornado Response (13/5/22)