The European Union is acceding to demands by Italy to take more responsibility for rescuing African migrants who make the dangerous journey across the Mediterranean.
EU Home Affairs chief Cecilia Malmstrom said Wednesday she hopes to launch operation "Frontex Plus" by November. She is calling on all EU members to contribute planes, ships and personnel.
Italy has been demanding the EU take on more responsibility for rescuing migrants fleeing to Europe to escape war and turmoil in places such as Libya, Syria and Iraq.
Italy says it has rescued more than 100,000 people so far this year, but that nearly 2,000 others have died trying to make the crossing.