13 May, 2013
The Philippines is holding elections seen as a mandate for President Benigno Aquino's reform agenda.
Voters on Monday are choosing more than 18,000 officials, including local leaders, more than half of the 24-member Senate and hundreds of legislators in the House of Representatives.
President Aquino swept into power by a landslide in 2010 on a promise to fight corruption that he blames for widespread poverty.
He has scored high popularity ratings for prosecuting corrupt officials, including his predecessor, Gloria Arroyo, now in detention while being tried for alleged massive graft.
Elections in the Philippines have long been plagued by bribery, along with intimidation or violence against opponents.
Results of Monday's poll are expected in a few days.
- Technology Report
- Health Report
- Education Report
- Economics Report
- Arts & Culture
- Ask a Teacher
- Words And Their Stories
- AS IT IS
- Everyday Grammar
- This is America
- Science in the News
- In the News
- American Stories
- Trending Today
- U.S. History
- America's National Parks
- America's Presidents
- Agriculture Report
- People in America
菲律宾举行为阿基诺改革至关重要的选举 Philippines Holds Elections Crucial for Aquino Reforms
- 朝鲜更换强硬派国防部长 North Korea Changes Hard-Line Defense Chief (13/5/13)
- 德国总理默克尔访问阿富汗 Merkel Visits Afghanistan (13/5/10)
- 朝鲜公布对韩裔美国人裴埈皓的指控 North Korea Details Charges Against American Prisoner (13/5/10)
- 孟加拉国制衣厂大火死7人 7 Killed in Bangladesh Garment Factory Fire (13/5/9)
- 马来西亚警方宣布反对派抗议“违法” Malaysian Police Declare Opposition Protest 'Illegal' (13/5/8)
- 墨西哥爆炸死22人 22 Killed in Mexico Explosion (13/5/8)
- 美国官员：朝鲜从发射场移走两枚中程导弹 NKorea Moves Missiles From Launch Site: US Officials (13/5/7)
- 美国务卿克里抵达俄罗斯 U.S.Secretary of State John Kerry Arrives in Russia (13/5/7)
- 孟加拉国反亵渎抗议导致10人死亡 10 Dead in Bangladesh Anti-Blasphemy Protests (13/5/6)
- 马来西亚长期执政联盟继续执掌政权 Malaysia's Long-Ruling Coalition Retains Power (13/5/6)