Buses and trains across Greece have come to a standstill Thursday -- part of a 24-hour, nationwide general strike called by unions to protest the government's decision to shut down state broadcaster, ERT, as part of sweeping cost-cutting measures.
The government took ERT off the air early Wednesday, after announcing the shutdown Tuesday.
Greek journalist unions have called for their members to strike until ERT is reopened.
Prime Minister Antonis Samaras is facing opposition from his coalition partners -- the socialist PASOK and the Democratic Left Party -- because of the closing.
Greece says the ERT closure is a temporary measure before a re-launch in a slimmed-down form. About 2,500 workers lost their jobs in the shutdown. The government has not given a reopening date.
Greece is struggling to shore up its finances and meet the terms of an international bailout.
- Technology Report
- Health Report
- Education Report
- Economics Report
- Arts & Culture
- Ask a Teacher
- Words And Their Stories
- AS IT IS
- Everyday Grammar
- This is America
- Science in the News
- In the News
- American Stories
- Trending Today
- U.S. History
- America's National Parks
- America's Presidents
- Agriculture Report
- People in America
希腊国家广播电视公司关闭导致罢工 Greeks Strike because of Broadcast Cutback
- 世界人口将于2050年达96亿 UN: Africa to Drive Rise in World Population to 9.6 Bn in 2050 (13/6/14)
- 美国：叙总统阿萨德跨过使用化武的“红线” US: Syria's Assad Crossed 'Red Line' with Chemical Weapons (13/6/14)
- 叙发生教派屠杀，克里黑格讨论叙利亚局势 US, Britain to Discuss Syria Amid Reports of Sectarian Killings (13/6/12)
- 韩国将取消南北会谈归咎于朝鲜 South Korea Blames North for Cancelled Talks (13/6/12)
- 朝鲜韩国会谈 KOREAS TALKS (13/6/11)
- 美国监控 US SURVEILLANCE (13/6/11)
- 伊拉克发生自杀袭击13人丧生 IRAQ VIOLENCE (13/6/10)
- 巴基斯坦激进分子袭击北约车队 Militants Kill 6 in NATO Convoy Attack in Pakistan (13/6/10)
- 韩国接受朝鲜举行谈判的建议 S.Korea Accepts North's Offer to Hold Talks (13/6/6)
- 费城拆除一座建筑发生事故6人死亡 6 Killed in Philadelphia Building Collapse (13/6/6)