- Technology Report
- Health Report
- Education Report
- Economics Report
- Arts & Culture
- Ask a Teacher
- Words And Their Stories
- AS IT IS
- Everyday Grammar
- This is America
- Science in the News
- In the News
- American Stories
- Trending Today
- U.S. History
- America's National Parks
- America's Presidents
- Agriculture Report
- People in America
A Silent Killer – Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
17 February, 2013
This is SCIENCE IN THE NEWS, in VOA Special English. I'm Christopher Cruise.
And I'm Bob Doughty. Winter has brought cold weather to many parts of Earth's northern hemisphere. With the cold comes a danger as old as man's knowledge of fire -- death or injury by carbon monoxide poisoning. Today, we tell about this ancient and continuing danger.
A Wisconsin woman died earlier this month from carbon monoxide poisoning. Officials say her body was found in a fishing shanty on Lake Winnebago. Officials urged people to use care when heating the small shelters. Visitors were told to make sure their heating equipment is in good condition, and that the shelters do not trap harmful gases.
A week earlier, carbon monoxide poisoning was blamed for the death of two women in Chicago, Illinois. The medical examiner's office blamed the accident on heating equipment. Fire officials say the heater was old and had not been inspected recently. They also say the building where the women lived did not have enough carbon monoxide detectors to recognize the deadly gas.
These are just two of the cases of carbon monoxide poisoning that have been reported this winter. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that carbon monoxide kills about 500 Americans every year. The CDC has found that the average number of carbon monoxide deaths in the United States is greatest in January. It notes that carbon monoxide poisoning can happen outdoors in fresh air. But the gas also has been linked with electrical generating equipment and engines on houseboats.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission is responsible for protecting Americans from unreasonable risks of death or injury from thousands of products. Last year, the commission reported information about deaths linked to carbon monoxide poisoning. It estimated the number of deaths that could be linked with products under the agency's supervision. There were an estimated 189 such deaths in 2008 – the most recent year for which information is available. The report says 49 percent of the deaths involved engine-driven tools. Heating systems were blamed for 37 percent of the deaths.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is not only a problem in the United States. It causes many deaths and injuries to people and animals around the world. The gas has been a problem since people first began burning fuels to cook food or to create heat. It is a problem in all parts of the world that experience cold weather.
Carbon monoxide is called the silent killer because people do not know it is in the air. The gas has no color. It has no taste. It has no smell. It does not cause burning eyes. And it does not cause people to cough. But it is very deadly. It robs the body of its ability to use oxygen.
Carbon monoxide decreases the ability of the blood to carry oxygen to body tissues. It does this by linking with the blood. When the gas links with the blood, the blood is no longer able to carry oxygen to the tissues that need it.
Damage to the body can begin quickly from large amounts of carbon monoxide. How quickly this happens depends on the length of time a person is breathing the gas and the amount of the gas he or she breathes in. Another consideration is how much alcohol the person might have had to drink.
Carbon monoxide poisoning has warning signs. But people have to be awake to recognize them. Small amounts of the gas will cause a person's head to hurt. He or she may begin to feel tired. The person may feel sick. The room may appear to be turning around. The person may have trouble thinking clearly.
People develop pain in the head as the amount of gas continues to enter their blood. They will begin to feel very tired and sleepy. They may have stomach pain.
Carbon monoxide is measured in parts per million in a normal atmosphere. Breathing in 200 parts per million of carbon monoxide will cause the first signs of poisoning. It will result in head pain, stomach problems and a feeling of tiredness after two to three hours.
A level of 800 parts per million will cause a person to lose consciousness. Victims will not know what is taking place around them. This will happen within two hours of breathing in this amount of carbon monoxide. Twelve thousand parts per million of the gas will cause death in one to three minutes.
Medical experts say carbon monoxide affects people differently. For example, a small child will experience health problems or die much quicker than an adult will. The general health of the person or his or her age can also be important.
An older adult with health problems may suffer the effects of carbon monoxide more quickly than a younger person with no health problems. People with heart disease may suffer chest pains. They may begin to have trouble breathing.
Carbon monoxide does not always cause death. But it can cause many medical problems. Breathing low amounts of the gas for long periods of time can lead to permanent damage in the heart, lungs or brain. Experts say small amounts of carbon monoxide over a long period of time can harm an unborn baby.
What causes carbon monoxide gas? Any device that burns fuels like coal, gasoline, kerosene, oil or wood can create the gas. Water heaters that burn natural gas create carbon monoxide. Fireplaces and stoves that burn wood create the gas. Natural gas stoves and gas dryers or charcoal grills also create carbon monoxide. Automobiles create it. Experts say the leading cause of carbon monoxide poisoning is damaged or misused equipment that burns these fossil fuels. Many people die or are injured by the gas because they do not use these devices correctly. Any device used to heat a home should be inspected to make sure it is working correctly. And, cooking equipment like a charcoal grill should never be used to heat an enclosed area.
Fuel-burning devices can create carbon monoxide gas because not all of the fuel is burned. Most devices used for home heating have a way to expel the gas from the home. For example, a fireplace has a chimney. Natural-gas stoves or gas water heaters are usually connected to a device that safely expels the gas from the home. Automobiles also have a system for releasing unburned fuel.
Anyone who uses a device that burns fossil fuel must inspect the equipment carefully to reduce chances of carbon monoxide escaping. Companies that produce the devices usually provide directions about using the device correctly. These directions should be read and understood before using any equipment that burns fuel inside a home.
A small, portable electric generator can be dangerous. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warns that such a device can kill within minutes when not used correctly.
You can do several things to protect yourself from the effects of carbon monoxide. First, immediately leave the area if you recognize the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning in yourself or others. Seek emergency medical services after you leave the area where you suspect the gas might be. Usually, the treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning involves breathing in large amounts of oxygen.
However, a doctor will know the best method to treat the effects of such poisoning.
Carbon monoxide does not quickly leave the body, even after treatment has begun. It can take several hours before the gas disappears. If you suspect carbon monoxide is a problem in your home, call local fire officials. Many firefighters have the necessary equipment to find or identify the gas.
In many countries, it is possible to buy and use a special device that will warn when harmful levels of carbon monoxide are in the area. These monitors can be linked to a home's electric system. Others are battery-powered. Experts say these devices should be placed near sleeping areas in the home and they should be tested at least twice a year.
The most important weapon against carbon monoxide poisoning is the safe use of materials to heat any enclosed area. Safety directions that come with heating equipment must be followed. Older equipment powered by fossil fuels should be inspected every year to make sure it continues to be safe. Knowledge about the dangers of carbon monoxide could be the most important information you ever learn.
- Traditional Test for Cervix Cancer Being Used to Test for Other Cancers (13/2/11)
- Let It Snow, Let it Snow, Let It Snow (13/1/28)
- Major Progress in Health Through Technology (13/1/21)
- How Babies Learn, When, and Even In What Position (13/1/14)
- Orchids Look Weak, But Many Are Stronger Than They Appear (13/1/7)
- One of the Great Mysteries of Our Universe (12/12/17)
- Epilepsy Disorder Suffered By Millions Around the World (12/12/17)
- Health Officials in Uganda Watching for New Cases of Ebola (12/12/10)
- Should Whales Be Hunted or Watched? (12/12/3)
- Is Eating Like Our Ancestors Good For Us? (12/11/12)